Share
Get widget

Sunday 31 July 2011

The United Way


"At Manchester United we strive for perfection and if we fail we might just have to settle for excellence" - Sir Matt Busby
 I had never heard this quote before, I'm not sure why but I just never came across it. It's a quote which, to me atleast, sums up Utd. It sums up why I support Utd.

I was born in 1988 and so when I was starting to watch football (2nd half of the 90's) I didn't just support Man Utd because they where the best team in the premiership, I followed them because my father followed them. And he started to support United back in the Tommy doc era in the mid-70's. This unlike now was against the grain, especially in our family, Liverpool where dominating in the League and Europe. He followed them because they had a number of Irish players but also because of how they played. He does not reminisce of the league titles or European cup in the 50's and 60's under Busby as it was before his time. But even in this lull of tittles from United, there was something in the way they played and the way they carried themselves that appealed to him. 

I think the quote from Sir Matt Busby, summarises this attitude. At Man Utd we will strive to be perfect, to make sure things are always done the right way. As I have mentioned, I started to follow Man Utd in the 90's and so I have known little but glory, people attack me for this, that I am a glory hunter, which I am not. I followed Utd because of my father but I have continued to support them over the years not because of the success, but because of the way Manchester United do things.

I also think as the game has grown over the past two decades with TV,  the money, players from all-around the world playing in different leagues there is one reason and one reason only that United has kept doing things the right way....Sir Alex Ferguson!


We cannot be thankful enough that SAF came to United when he did and that he has been allowed to stay in charge and hold the club stable over this period of explosion in world football. The tradition of wearing the suits to matches still in tact is a prime example of how Utd still do things the right way and when they are representing the club the players all know what is expected. We no official statements are made by the club regarding transfers until they are confirmed and the transfer fees are never disclosed from the Man United end.


Without him at the helm we may have spiralled into a manger a season mode, not allowing anybody to make a mark and leaving the club in disarray. But Ferguson has upheld the tradition and attitude on Man Utd and implanted it into every player that has crossed his path, if they did not meet the standard, they were shown the door. Many of the mangers brought into other clubs today are shown the door by the players as the chairmen look to keep their star players rather than keep the manager. No player should ever be bigger than the club, no matter what club that may be.

This leads me to think to the future, after Ferguson retires. I hope when-ever that is that the right decision is made in appointing his successor, they will be give the time to create their own squad and more importantly they uphold the traditions of the club and play the United way!

I am proud to support Manchester United, not just because we are champions, its because;

We always go out to attack, we always go out to win, we always go out to play until the final whistle. There is no other way. We are Manchester United, Not Arrogant....Just Better.

Please subscribe, comment and share with friends, this blog is just beginning and I would love to hear your opinions on how to improve or what topics I should be looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...