Share
Get widget

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Hargreaves: "Welcome To Manchester: Part II"

So breaking news today is that Owen Hargreaves is having a medical with Manchester City. If you are on twitter and follow the #MUFCfamily your time line, like mine will have been hi-jacked by Owen Hargreaves news, views & opinions. A lot of these opinions are at the extreme end of the scale (as with a lot of opinions of twitter) 

Many people calling him a money-grabber & a twat for swtiching to City. 

Just as many wishing him the best & stating he owes nothing to Man United. 

In my opinion, both these views are wrong, as with most things in life there is a middle ground. My feeling on the issue is that Hargreaves is not 'money-grabbing' with this move to City. He clearly feels he has the ability & has regained his fitness to play for a club in the Champions League. The move to City however, I feel directly contradicts a statement in the interview he gave last week;
"But, right now, I'd like to think I can play 40 games this season and with the right care I believe I can train every day."

If he goes to City I think he will be lucky if he makes 20 appearances over the season.  But perhaps along with the money and size of MCFC he views this option more attractive, than playing regular football for a team such as West Brom.

To those who are stating that he owes the club nothing and wishing him the best. This isn't fair either, has been at the club for 4 years, basically being only fit for one of them, playing 39games in total (costing the club £447,368.42 per appearance) & he has been given total support from the fans throughout this time. To now turn around and sign for city rivals is a bit of a slap in the face for them. Again it can be understood, if his options were for non-champions league clubs, but for United fans to turn around and wish him the best, is when it comes down to it, giving best wishes to a blue. 

I honestly believe that he will not improve City & United will not be weakened without him (as somebody said on twitter "You can't miss, what you never had") I think he will at best be a back-up player for City and has been brought in as more of a "Stunt", a "Welcome To Manchester: Part II"


So my own final opinion. I think it is a pretty lousy move on Hargreaves' part, removing my personal bias it is understandable though. But he is kidding himself if he thinks he will make his 40-game target & I think City are only looking at him because he is leaving United. The whole thing feels especially bitter after the interview he gave a few days ago stating how he thought Man Utd was a wonderful club and his regret that it didn't work out ect. Even at that stage every United fan was full of sympathy & regret that it hadn't worked out. Those feelings have not abandoned me altogether! It may make since for him to join City but it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.


Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, it is always appreciated. Please share it if you enjoyed it and feel free to leave comments or tweet me with your opinions & thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...